In this guide, we will reveal how to use a Waterpik without making a mess. The Waterpik irrigator, also known as a dental or oral irrigator, that injects a flow of pressurized water between your teeth and gums, effectively eliminating accumulated food debris and bacterial plaque.
These devices can be battery operated or directly plugged into the mains and are powered from a water tank.
Surely since you were little you are aware of the importance of oral hygiene. However, what you probably don’t know is that oral hygiene is not only good for caries prevention, but also very important for the prevention of other diseases.
You might be interested in: #10 Best Water Flosser on the Market
One of the pillars of oral hygiene is dental floss, but we have to recognize that its use is a bit cumbersome, it takes time and sometimes it is painful. Flossing can damage the gum tissues if we don’t apply it correctly or we do it very vigorously.
Performing dental irrigation is important for your daily oral health routine. But scaling with flossing can be clumsy, messy and difficult to do well.
how to use a Waterpik without making a mess – in 6 Easy Steps
- Fill the tank with lukewarm water and place it firmly on its base.
- Select a tip and click on the handle.
Note: If this is the first use, set the pressure control dial to high. Point the mouthpiece to the sink and turn on the water flow until the water flows. Turn off the power.
- Begin with the lowest pressure setting, lean over the sink, place the mouthpiece in your mouth.
- Turn on the device. Close your lips slightly to avoid splashing and allow water to flow from your mouth to the sink.
- Orient the tip towards the gum.
- When finished, turn off the power and use the tip eject button to remove it.
Depending on the model of the Waterpik ® Irrigator , you can use the handle pause or the on / off switch to stop the flow of water if necessary. You can also aim the tip using the rotating base. (These features are not available on all models.)
Watch this on how to use a Waterpik without making a mess
How to floss
Clinical studies show that when used properly, flossing can improve oral health. But too vigorous or incorrect scaling can also damage gum tissue.
Follow these instructions from the American Dental Association on how to use a waterpik without making a mess.
- Use about 18 inches of dental floss wrapped around one of your majors, the rest being wrapped around the other major.
- Hold the floss firmly between thumb and forefinger and gently insert between teeth.
- Flossing against the side of the “C” shaped tooth
- Rub the dental floss gently from top to bottom, keeping it flush against the tooth. Do not shake or break the floss.
- Repeat on adjacent teeth and subsequent teeth.
- As you move from one tooth to the next, roll out the clean floss with one finger and use the opposite finger to floss the used dental floss.
How many times should I use my Waterpik?
If you use a dental irrigator, professionals advise using it daily. The benefits of the water irrigator last a short time, as we continuously introduce food and drinks into the mouth.
For this reason, we must use our irrigator next to brushing teeth twice a day if we want to keep our mouth healthy.
Now you have a lot of information related to how to use a waterpik without making a mess and benefits of Waterpik dental irrigators. I hope you have learned to use them and are able to choose the oral irrigator that best suits your needs. If you still have doubts about which irrigator to choose, check out our review of the best oral irrigators .
It is important to make sure you analyze all the characteristics and particularities of the different devices that are currently on the market, if you want to make a perfect purchase.